Our Educational Message

Hi, and welcome to our blog. This space is designed to share ideas and methodologies that we use to teach Turkish teenagers. In particular, there is a strong focus on ICT-ELT, which means if you like visual and technological support for your style of teaching, this blog is for you. My colleague, Brentson Ramsey, has been working alongside me for three years. He is also a big proponent of the ICT-ELT Paradigm, which means he will also be posting from his own teaching perspective on the blog.

2010 was the beginning of this new journey, and although there is no definitive ICT-ELT road map available for everyone to follow, it is exciting to explore the technological means to make teaching more fun and affective for students. Our main message is for teachers to ADOPT & ADAPT the paradigm shift for their own needs, and remember that
ICT-ELT is a TOOL, NOT a SOLUTION.

Thursday 8 May 2014

BEEN GROUNDED? WHAT'S YOUR PUNISHMENT?

The verb on the left is one that teenagers dread all throughout their adolescence. It is defined as '(of a parent) the refusal to allow (a child) to go out socially as a punishment.'

Since my teaching responsibilities include giving a wide array of LIFE SKILLS to young teenagers throughout the year, I believe this verb constitutes quite a bit of self-reflective mileage for my students at any time of the year; however, I have chosen to use it towards the end of my time with the class, so they can carry on into high school with this timely reminder cemented firmly in their psyche.

I was surfing on my ipad last week when I came across a wonderful tweet from an
American website, www.tickld.com. The site reported how a couple of parents had implemented a list of chores to their offspring should they wish to reduce their time being grounded for a misdemeanor.  I was so taken (tickld) by the list that I decided to make a lesson this morning on Blendspace: 


For a quirky insight to the idea behind it, here is a jpeg of the list of chores your child or your students' parents need to learn from you (and this tutorial) about a great way to make those troubled and lets say, outlandish/boorish kids make a difference.




The list covers quite a few chores that the original tweet had, and I added a few of my own.  However, I am sure you as a parent and/or experienced teacher of angsty teenagers can find a few more.  Certainly, what surprised me, when I started asking questions of parental structured disciplining and the likes to my group of 15 year olds, was that every single child said they wanted it more than anything.  The group-affirmative was given almost in chorus.  In fact, they admitted thta only two of them had ever been grounded in their lives, but they all believed that it was an effective and worthwhile deterrent for their own inappropriate and outlandish behavior.

STUDENTS RESPONSES (done on Edmodo)






I am sure the students' responses have surprised you in this day and age?  I know a lot of comments from teens can be considered lip-service, but even when we factor that in, we can see some pretty strong views in the affirmative for discipline at home. This gives me hope for teaching young teens because at times they certainly don't follow their own advice.  This is great, and I urge you to try this tutorial with your teenage students.

No comments:

Post a Comment